Starting from 1 July
2018, a new state standard (GOST) is coming into effect. It is recommended to
be applied by companies when they draw up documents for the purpose of
interacting with state authorities.
GOST R 7.0.97-2016 “The system of standards in
information, librarianship and publishing. Organisational and administrative
documentation. Requirements for drawing up documents” will replace GOST R
6.30-2003, which is repealed.
The following changes are expected to result
from the new standard being introduced:
new GOST is now applicable not only to hard copies, but also to electronic
- In addition to resolutions, directives, orders, decisions, protocols,
certificates and letters (as in the old GOST), the new standard will be
applicable to a company’s charters, regulations, rules, instructions, by-laws,
contracts and certificates.
- The types and sizes of fonts that can be used in drafting a document are
Times New Roman, 13,14
Verdana 12, 13
- It is now enacted that documents can be drafted on the face and on the
reverse side of a page.
- The requirements for the exact location of the details of documents have
- Such details as the primary state registration number (abbreviated in
Russian to OGRN), a taxpayer’s ID (abbreviated in Russian to INN) and code of
reason for tax registration (abbreviated in Russian to KPP), and a company’s
code have been excluded. They are only mentioned in the section “Company’s
- There are four new details, including: name of the structural division
of the author of the document, position of the author of the document, a
restricted access mark, and a mark of electronic signature.
- The place where the document was drawn up (published) should now be
indicated in all documents, except for letters, internal memos and reports
(informational and reference materials).
- The Russian abbreviation “ul.” (denoting ‘Street’) should now always
come after the name of a street.
- It is now enacted that an email address is stated in cases when a letter
is sent by fax or by email.
- If a document is less than 4 or 5 lines long, a heading of the text may
- It is enacted that initials should now also be placed after a surname in
the text of a document.
- The phrase “Yours sincerely/faithfully” has been enacted. It may now be
used irrespective of whether the salutation phrase already contains the word
- A record management stamp may now be placed in
– on the first page of a document in the upper left corner;
– on the last page of a document below the text; and
– on the approval page.
- In the new GOST the mark of the executor
comprises the executor’s surname, name and patronymic, along with his/her
telephone number. Further, at the discretion of the company, it may be
supplemented with the executor’s position, structural division and email
Acsour recommends that
you take note of the new rules for documentation and update your internal
regulations, if necessary.